Wednesday, July 4, 2012

It is not only prayer that gives God glory but work.  Smiting on an anvil, sawing a beam, white-washing a wall, driving horses, sweeping, scouring, everything gives God some glory if being in His grace you do it as your duty.  To go to communion worthily gives God great glory, but to take food in thankfulness and temperance gives Him glory too.  To lift up the hands in prayer gives God glory, but a man with a dungfork in his hand, a woman with a slop pail, give Him glory, too.  God is so great that all things give Him glory if you mean that they should.
~ Gerard Manley Hopkins

I take immense comfort in Hopkins' eloquence today. Actually, I take immense comfort in his words every time that my mind rests on them.  They were part of the idea behind the title of this blog: there is incarnational, glorious beauty in the everyday.

Here on the ground, I struggle to remain calm every time I look at our schedule for the next 10 days leading up to The Big Move.  The couch is sold, the boxes are piling higher each day, but so much still needs to happen.  And I get so tired that it's hard to think straight (let's face it: I've lost three placentas so it's hard to think straight on a good day).  What am I thankful for today?  A phonecall from a friend.  A three-year-old son who gives me the giggles.  Air conditioning.

Back to the packing.

2 comments:

  1. I love this quote by Gerard Manley Hopkins. It's so true, isn't it? The scriptures say that anything (so long as it isn't evil) can be "consecrated by the Word of God and by prayer." So if I take a moment to pray, any of my seemingly insignificant tasks can be transformed into holiness. The doing of the laundry. The endless wiping of various items: spills, dishes, countertops, and noses.
    You have reminded me and refreshed me--thank you!
    I felt the corporate welling up of emotion at church this morning as the congregation blessed you on your way. We let you Iflands go...but not willingly and not happily. You will be missed!
    k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find Hopkin's words restful and comforting, too. There really can be purpose in all the tasks, no matter how mundane. Seattle is jumping up and down in excitement for the prairie girl headed her way. :)

    ReplyDelete